Guidance and College Readiness
The work of La Salle Academy’s Counseling Department centers on the educational and personal well-being of the student. The department seeks to assist each student in developing his full potential and in identifying central concerns in his life. With scheduled individual meetings and specialized group activities, the program addresses the unique needs of each student. These needs include academic advising, crisis intervention, college planning, coping with stress, test administration and interpretation, and outside referrals for psychological treatment and educational testing. Consultations with parents regarding their son’s academic and/or personal issues are held as well.
At La Salle, planning for college begins the first day a student arrives on 6th Street. It is the predominant expectation that every student is college-bound. This is demonstrated in the fact that every year 96% of the senior class continues their education at colleges and universities across the US. In the spring, a College Fair is hosted for the Junior class. Admissions representatives from the colleges meet with these students again during the fall of their senior year to provide additional information about colleges and universities. Students are encouraged to schedule appointments to visit colleges they are considering. The department also hosts a Financial Aid Night for students and parents to detail this complex topic. La Salle’s Counseling offices have resources including college view books, financial aid manuals, and access to web sites for student use.
In addition, La Salle Academy offers a College Exploration program each summer. Available for rising juniors and seniors, this three-week program is designed to prepare students for the SAT exam and the college application process. Students also visit various universities in the New York City area and tour the campuses. In addition to the SAT Prep intensive in the summer college exploration program, La Salle also offers a menu of SAT prep classes for freshmen, sophomores and juniors during the academic school year.
Counselors schedule appointments with each student throughout the year and the students are welcome and strongly encouraged to initiate appointments with their counselor. We are dedicated to helping each student excel to their fullest potential and have the most successful high school career possible. The Department consists of three counselors, one of whom is a Licensed Clinical Social Worker. The counselors get to know each student on a personal level and create a support network for the student that is crucial for their success.
College Representatives Visiting La Salle Fall 2017
Check back soon for upcoming college representative visits!
Course of Guidance:
- Transition: to a New Environment, from 8th grade to HS, from Public School to Private, etc.
- Establishing Relationships with Both Peers and Teachers
- Importance of the First Impression
- Understanding Rules and Policies
- Time, Stress, and Anger Management
- Peer Pressure
- Conflict Resolution
- Introduction to the Role of the Counselor
- Explanation of Graduation Requirements and Regents Exams
- Increased Academic Stress Levels
- Regents Exams
- PSAT Preparation, Administration and Interpretation
- Test Anxiety and Test Taking Skills
- Introduction to SAT and ACT
- Introduction to College Search Process
- Explanation of Regents/Advanced Regents Diplomas
- PSAT Administration and Score Interpretation
- SAT/ACT Registration and Preparation
- Detailing the College Search Process – Factors to Consider in Choosing a College, How to Narrow the Search, Different Types of Colleges
- The College Application Process – Essays, Recommendation Letters, Financial Aid, Scholarships, Etc.
- Transcript Review
- Regents Exams
- College Fairs and Visits
- College Representative Visits
- Making the Final College Choices
- Completing College Applications
- Scholarship Applications and Financial Aid Forms - FAFSA
- Financial Aid Night
- Transcript Review
- Retaking the SAT
- Early Decision/Early Action
- Interview Skills
Useful Tools for Students
College Search and Application Guide: (Microsoft Document) A step-by-step instruction manual on the college application process.
Affordable Colleges Online: a tools for research on all the not-for-profit universities and colleges in New York that offer online college programs.
College Application Essay Writing Tips: Essay Writing tips from the College-Board.
College Letter of Recommendation Template: (Microsoft Document) This completed form is given to teachers and counselors who will write recommendation letters for you.
Exploring Program: A career exploration program for students
Resume Writing Tips for High School Students: An online guide to writing resumes.
Summer Assignment: To be completed by students entering 12th Grade in September